Wednesday, November 11, 2009

All Stop or Full Speed Ahead?

As an avid reader of blogs (so much to learn from so many), there are a dozen that I monitor regularly. Chris Brogan, author of Trust Agents, had a recent post on his blog that really struck a chord with me. In it, he uses the metaphor of the intersection as that of a decision point. Although I am not one to "accelerate at crossroads" in a literal sense, I would say that I continue to do so when it comes to important personal and professional decisions (though I have not always been that way). One thing I do not suffer from is "analysis paralysis" which brings with it a fair share of mistakes. Rather than let sitting on the sidelines be my mistake, I make my mistakes on the field (and sometimes just taking the field proves to be a mistake). I have found that more often than not, the mistakes I make on the field are more gratifying. If nothing else, they provide a learning point, and give me a life lesson that I will not likely choose to experience again.

- How do you react when you find yourself at a decision point?
- If you do brake, does your caution result in missed opportunities?
- If you accelerate, do you find yourself avoiding or creating collisions? If you create them, are they collisions of opportunity?

As I pointed out, Chris Brogan is the author of the book Trust Agents, which is one of the reasons I started this blog. The premise of the book is to guide people into leveraging social media to facilitate their evolution into that of a "Trust Agent". The authors' definition of "Trust Agent" being people who "aren't necessarily marketers or salespeople; they're the digitally savvy people who use the Web to humanize businesses using transparency, honesty, and genuine relationships", was enough to get my attention.

I encourage anyone who sees themselves as a "Trust Agent", sees value in becoming one or would like to help others evolve into the same, to read the book and follow through with the ideas brought to the surface.

No comments:

Post a Comment